The Venous Disease Coalition (VDC), an initiative of the Vascular Disease Foundation, created the VTE Toolkit to be a summary of some of the key concepts in venous thromboembolism (VTE) and anticoagulant management. We sincerely hope that you will find this to be a useful resource both in your personal learning and in your educational activities with other groups.
The Toolkit has been designed to be a practical overview for health professionals who care for patients with or at risk for venous thromboembolism (VTE). It is not intended to be comprehensive, it does not discuss the nuances of clinical practice, and it does not provide the primary evidence for most of the content. However, the content has been carefully selected to reflect current, evidence-based knowledge in the area of VTE.
The Toolkit can be used in several manners. The PowerPoint version of each chapter can be used in its current form or can be modified to suit the specific education needs of the audience. For example, a presenter can select slides from among the various chapters to create a presentation that is suited for a particular audience’s needs. The individual slides can also be modified and they can be supplemented by the presenter’s own slides for a presentation. A PDF version of the entire toolkit is also provided in order to select specific pages that can be used for personal education or as presentation handouts.
This collection of slides has been compiled by members of the Venous Disease Coalition to assist health professionals in their educational activities. While we have attempted to provide accurate, evidence-based information, this is a changing field and new evidence will change the content. The content also reflects the views of the contributing VDC members which may, at times, be at variance with other sources of information.
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1: The Venous Disease Coalition (PPT)
- Chapter 2: Pathogenesis and Consequences of VTE (PPT)
- Chapter 3: Epidemiology of VTE Risks and Risk Factors (PPT)
- Chapter 4: Clinical Presentations of VTE (PPT)
- Chapter 5: Investigation of Suspected VTE (PPT)
- Chapter 6: Acute Management of VTE (PPT)
- Chapter 7: Long-Term Management of VTE (PPT)
- Chapter 8: Safe Use of Oral Anticoagulants (PPT)
- Chapter 9: New Therapies for VTE (PPT)
- Chapter 10: Hypercoagulability (PPT)
- Chapter 11: Chronic Venous Insufficiency (PPT)
- Chapter 12: Prevention of VTE (PPT)
- Complete Toolkit: Downloadable PDF file of complete Toolkit.